The Playful Practitioner Playshops - Countrywide
Research shows that it is vital for practitioners to be playful in order to support children's learning.
- Are your staff using their natural acting, storytelling and play abilities to extend and support children's learning and communication through play?
- Could staff deliver the EYFS and ECaT in a more creative and interactive way?
- Does your staff know how to create bridges into children's thinking and understanding?
- Do you want evidence of a more collaborative way of working between child and practitioner?
- Are you improving outcomes for children and parents?
Our Playful Practitioner playshops are one day sessions which introduce practitioners to using voice, body, space, movement and imagination to create a more playful environment. No one needs any acting ability or experience to benefit from and enjoy our playshops. We've found that participants' skills and self confidence improve in just one session!
By attending this course, practitioners will:
- Feel confident using play as a means of developing children's language, communication, thinking and creativity
- Develop a more playful and creative environment in order to stimulate children's imaginations
- Improve communication between children and adults
- Identify child-initiated evidence for profiling and link children's learning to desired educational outcomes
- Increase the occurrence of child lead play
- Improve listening skills
- Improve communication with parents
- Learn creative techniques for the delivery of the EYFS curriculum and ECaT
- To be better able to engage hard to reach children and families
- To be able to cascade learning to other members of their teams
- To support reflective practice
Who's it for?
Our Playful Practitioner playshop is designed for adults who work with children and would like to improve their play, observation and listening skills. Previous participants of this playshop have included:
Early years practitioners
Early Years Professionals
Play development workers
Outreach and family support workers
Child and adult mental health workers
Each session is for up to 16 people. Some of the Children's Centres we have worked with have chosen to host a session for all their practitioners and community workers. Others have grouped together with up to 4 other Children's Centres to share costs. In either case, the centres have found that the experience has improved communication and relationships and created excellent opportunities for peer networking.
We are very flexible and happy to work with whatever setting is most appropriate for you.
What's in it?
Our Playful Practitioner playshops can be run as a single "Introduction to play" session or a series of 5 playshops where participants can find out how to:
- Twist and Shout! using your voice and body
- Make it up, Shake it up! improvisation and creativity
- Once upon a time: story telling
- Get in the groove: use rhythm, rhyme and sound
- Can't play Won't play: dealing with problems
An independent evaluation of the Practitioners Playshop found, among other benefits, that:
- 100% of participants wanted to use what they had learned at work
- 87% had more confidence in using movement
- 95% understood more about the importance of play for grown ups
- Most practitioners felt their confidence and creativity had increased
Following the Playshops, participants have reported a range of positive feelings: Positive...Excited...Enthused...Invigorated...Inspired...Reflective...Confident...Tired but relaxed...Happy...Motivated...Thoughtful...Contented...Comforted...My confidence has developed...Pleased I attended...!
Children's Centre leaders have reported:
"The staff felt they had really benefitted from the workshops and had a heightened awareness of play...... It made them realise how bogged down they can become in paper work and they are now more aware of the need to get involved in children's play........ There is more creative involvement happening than just asking questions...We now allow the children to join in when they want to rather than when we want them to and this is very successful...I have worked with children for many years and the sessions have made me realise how many opportunities parents and practitioners are missing by not seeing the world through a child's eyes. Thank you for opening mine".
More details, please!
Our Playful Practitioner playshops run from 9.30 a.m. to 3.30 p.m and are for 16 people. The cost is £1100 plus VAT. If you book the Playful Practitioner introduction day and would like further training, there you will receive a 10% reduction on our specialist playshops, such as ‘Twist and Shout'.
View all event listings